answer me this… what is the world’s current obsession with birds? i’ll admit it, i’m a culprit. whether it’s an owl or a simple garden bird, when i spot some cute home decor boasting one of the flying friends, an electromagnetic force draws me near.
well, my obsession continues… and last night i made a new little piece for display. the project: a bird on a branch, painted & sewn on canvas (as seen in the photo).
cost: approx $8 (to cut the costs, i purchased the supplies at a local discount/dollar variety shop)
creation time: 30 mins
supplies: canvas, newspaper, 2 colors of acrylic paint, 2 paintbrushes, pencil, 3 colors of needlepoint thread & a needle
1) lay down some newspaper so the paint doesn’t make a mess
2) start with painting the canvas any color of your choice – one coat
3) once the first coat has dried (i held the canvas in front of my little electric heater and the canvas was dry within 5 minutes), go ahead and paint your second coat, wait for it to dry
4) with the other paintbrush, paint a branch or twig onto the center of the canvas (remember when painting your branch, you will need enough room above to draw & sew a bird resting on the branch – the bird must not overlap with the wood or you cannot sew onto the canvas) – allow time to to dry
5) with a pencil trace a bird resting onto the canvas
6) on top of where you have traced now sew your bird onto the canvas (i used 3 different color threads to add a bit of pop, as well as to emphasize the wing and eye)
7) all done! rest on your favorite shelf or hang on the wall